Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Ironmaner? Ironmen? IRONMAN?

While you are likely to find plenty of errors in the grammar I use here (relaxed style common to the blogosphere), I like to think that I have a fair grasp on both grammar and the English language. I am a Certified Master Trainer (Training Manager, Instructional Designer/Developer, and Performance Consultant) and am married to an English major. When in doubt, I am quick to refer to an appropriate "style guide" to help me with whatever topic I am working on.

In writing about triathlons and specifically the Ironman brand, I find there are some very unique challenges and a lack of any solid guidelines. There is no "style guide" for Ironman! So, how do I get it right?

First, let's establish what "Ironman" is. According to Wikipedia, "The World Triathlon Corporation (WTC) is a for-profit corporation, owned by Providence Equity Partners, that organizes, promotes and licenses the Ironman Triathlon, Ironman 70.3, and the 5150 series of triathlon races.[1][2] WTC is also the owner of numerous "Ironman" related trademarks used both in connection with Ironman race series' and in conjunction with various goods and services."

So, with that known, you would think that perusing their own website(s) would provide me with some answers to my questions? Not so. In fact, one can almost find more inconsistencies on their sites than you can on other popular forums! Since WTC is going to be no help, let's just get the questions out there and see what YOU think?

Ironman Participant?
This one is probably the easiest one for most of us. The person competing in an Ironman triathlon is... an Ironman. Right? Well, not if you follow the logic of one poster in the popular Slowtwitch forums. They simply throw out the "agent noun" argument.


Run = Runner. Race = Racer. Marathon = Marathoner. Ironman = Ironmaner?! The best argument against this was put forth as, "By that logic, Lance Armstrong would be a 'cycler' and not a 'cyclist'!" So, should we go with Ironmanist? No, I think we can agree to just stick with "Ironman"?! OK?

Ironman Plural?
This one is more difficult than it sounds. First, we have to decide if we're talking about the competitor or the event! If it's the event, this one seems to be pretty consistently agreed upon. The correct term for having competed in multiple Ironman events would be "Ironmans". "My coach has competed in more Ironmans than I can count!"

My confusion when talking about the competitor, comes from Mike Reilly himself. Mike Reilly, in his 25th year as "The Voice of Ironman" has become almost synonymous with becoming an Ironman finisher. Hearing his voice announce, "(Your Name Here), YOU are an Ironman!!!" I can tell you for a fact that it will be one of the most exciting things I ever hear, should I be fortunate enough to hear it on November 1, 2014! Anyway, at last year's IRONMAN Florida, I repeatedly heard Mike say, "(Name Number 1) and (Name Number 2), YOU are an Ironman!!!" when two people would cross the line together at roughly the same time. NOT, "...YOU are Ironmen!!!" Nope, "Ironman"... applying to both of them. Was it because he's just so used to saying to individuals and THAT is the particular phrasing that people want to hear?

I think the jury is out on this one, but it just feels more natural for me to call that group of Ironman finishers at the bar, a group of "Ironmen"!

Ironman Capitalized?
Looking back at some of my past posts, I've mixed writing "Ironman" and "IRONMAN". In this particular post, I've purposely done it lowercase so as to not taint the jury pool. In days of yore, you would find it written on WTC's site as both lower and uppercase. Viewing it today, the capitalized version is dominant. So... capitalized it shall be from here on out! IRONMAN!

IRONMAN Events?
Last year I did my first "IRONMAN"-branded event, the half-IRONMAN in Augusta, Georgia. Writing about it was my first experience with the inconsistency of IRONMAN. I would find it written, in official publications, as IRONMAN 70.3 Augusta, Ironman Augusta 70.3, 70.3 Ironman Augusta, and even other, more bizarre permutations. In the end, I let the most commonly found phrasing sway me and went with IRONMAN 70.3 Augusta.

Who is an IRONMAN?
No IRONMAN conversation is complete without a discussion (argument) about exactly WHO gets to call themselves an IRONMAN! This will be a short conversation since it seems to be the most contentious online. Here are a couple of the more "fringe" beliefs out there that I, personally, don't subscribe to:

  • ONLY the winner of the IRONMAN World Championship in Kona has the right to call themselves an IRONMAN.
  • ONLY the winner of any IRONMAN-branded competition has the right to call themselves an IRONMAN.
Another fringe belief (in my estimation) is that by participating in ANY IRONMAN-branded event of ANY distance qualifies you to call yourself an IRONMAN.

It is my belief that anyone completing an IRONMAN-branded, 140.6 event, prior to the cutoff, can call themselves an IRONMAN. What about non-IRONMAN-branded events that are still 140.6 events? I'm not sure where I fall on that one.


IRONMAN Branded Clothing and Gear?
It is hard to talk about who can call themselves an IRONMAN without talking about how they display that fact in their clothing and gear. So, who can wear IRONMAN clothing and gear? I say that, as long as it's not "Finisher" gear, anyone who has completed an IRONMAN-branded event of any distance (70.3 or 140.6) can wear the logo and name. I even go a step farther and say anyone who is registered for and training for said event can wear the logo and name. That is because I believe getting to the starting line of an IRONMAN event is an accomplishment in itself! However, you only get the M Dot tattoo if you've completed an IRONMAN-branded, 140.6 event! I'm pretty sure that one is a law?!



OK, enough of my borderline neurotic ramblings on these topics. I'd love to hear what you think about these topics surrounding the IRONMAN name and designation! Sound off in the Comments, please?!

2 comments:

  1. Beware of the hype - Disclaimer: The following is a confession, not a exercise in self adoration.

    I am a fairly experienced endurance athlete. I have been participating in marathons since the age of 14 and my experiences have taken the form of human-powered as well as motorized endurance racing. I have had the honor to have competed at the Boston marathon and countless other lesser-known events. I felt like I was fairly prepared for any emotional experience. I was wrong.

    I completed my 1st 140.6 IRONMAN event at Florida last year. I clearly remember first seeing this "ultimate human experience" on ESPN some years ago and actually became a little misty watching all of the competitors plot by in slow motion to a narrative that seemed to be spoken in the key of A minor. I became ensnared in the visions of myself peeling back all of the human limitations and encumbrances that define me as a "mortal". I was sold, absolutely, on the suggestion that I needed to do this race. Yes, I was sure of it. I eventually offered WTC a little more than $600 for the privilege of earning one of their t-shirts and, if I remember correctly, "bragging rights forever".

    I rode the roller coaster of being at Boston, finishing shortly before the attacks and then hurriedly deciding that this lifestyle was no longer for me. It had been somehow corrupted forever. Well, my self imposed exile from endurance sports was short lived and I used the remaining 2 1/2 months prior to IMFL to begin training again. Couch to 140.6 anyone? I was once again sure that this was going to define me as an athlete. This is where my delusion really began. I began to watch and re-watch highlight shorts on YouTube and began to chat online with other triathletes. I sought advice from seasoned IM vets and bought newer fancier gear with which to compete. I developed a fueling plan and executed a 'taper' that was the composite of numerous opinions on the subject. All this planning was done with the expectation that crossing that finish line would somehow change my life. After all it was supposed to. Why else would I pay over $600 just to toe the starting line?

    I mentioned an emotion previously for which I would not be prepared. I realized it once I rounded the last left turn just a couple hundred meters from the finish and saw the clock. I was deflated. Not the kind of deflated that comes from being completely zonked and glycogen depleted, but the kind of deflated that comes when you roll off of the car lot just realizing that you made an impulse buy... and realizing that the salesman knew how to twist your emotional nipples by offering you a virtual experience - your emotional buy-in.

    I do not wish to offend anyone who has completed this distance. I believe that it is different for everyone who does it. I expect some backlash on what I am about to say and that is okay too. For me, personally, I never got that "see the face of God" moment that I bought hook, line an sinker. Was it a tough race, sure. While I felt a certain sense of accomplishment, I am still just "me". If I ever call myself an "IRONMAN" it is only in jest and I shy away from discussing IMFL with non-athletes unless it is to tell them that they can do whatever they decide to do. While I appreciate cool artwork and fully respect anyone's decision to do so, I will not be getting an M-DOT tattoo. I will not be getting a Gatorade tattoo either. Nor will I adorn my body with "Boston Strong" or "Remember 9/11". And Boston was very significant for me.

    In short, I expected too much because I was the usual demographic target for WTC. I was disappointed largely because I was probably looking for identity in something that does not offer fulfillment. My motocross coach once told me (not his original, but true none the less) "If you are not enough without it, you will never be enough with it". I am registered to IMFL 2014. Respect

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure what the above comment has to do with what your post. I don't necessarily disagree with his points. But everyone should realize IM is a business and their target audience is mostly middle-agers who are looking for a challenge -- getting us to "buy-in" is their marketing tool, and they're GREAT at it. But completing one day of racing is not going to change the basic fabric of who you are, and give meaning to your life.

    But, as to your post topic, as a regular blogger about IM, I feel your pain!! IM plural, IM participant... it's crazy difficult to figure out. Not to mention people asking if I'm training to be an IronWOMAN since I'm female. :)

    ReplyDelete