Monday, March 31, 2014

Oh no, Let's Go... Crazy Brick!

Sung to the tune of “Let’s Go Crazy”, with apologies to the artist formerly known as Prince…

Are we gonna let this brick
Bring us down, oh no, let’s go
Let’s go crazy, let’s get nuts
Lock that pace and nutrition in
So your next Tri will not suck, let’s go!





On a recent Sunday, the coaches of TriAttic (http://www.TriAttic.com) hosted a “Crazy Brick” group workout for area triathletes that really knocked my socks off. (Well, technically I wasn’t wearing socks for this workout, but you know what I mean?!) It was unique enough that I thought I’d share, in hopes that you might want to shake up your workouts with a “Crazy Brick” and will get the same value from it that I did!



First, a “Crazy Brick” is simply intervals/sets of one (1) hour biking and 20 minutes running, doing as many as you would like, repeating up to five (5) times. One of the great things about this workout is that it is scalable for any distance you are training for. Scalable in the number of sets and in intensity (heart rate zone - HRZ). Just to clarify, heart rate zones for each set are the same for the bike and run portion. Here is what you do for each distance:


Sprint/Olympic:

1 Set: Zone 2 - 4

70.3:
2 - 3 Sets.
Set 1: Zone 1 - 2
Set 2: Zone 3
Set 3: Zone 1 - 2

140.6:
4 - 5 Sets.
Set 1: Zone 1 - 2
Set 2: Zone 2 - 3
Set 3: Zone 1 - 2
Set 4: Zone 2 - 3
Set 5: Zone 1 - 2

The transition area had transition racks and a canopy popup tent with a table for additional hydration and nutrition. If you're doing this on your own, the only consideration will be about securing your bike during your run. This transition area was setup in a location that offered the benefit of two (2) bike routes. One was hilly for athletes training for upcoming "hilly" races (IRONMAN Coeur d'Alene, IRONMAN Chattanooga, IRONMAN Augusta 70.3, etc.) and a flat one for athletes training for "flat" races (IRONMAN Florida 70.3, Gulf Coast Triathlon 70.3, IRONMAN Florida, etc.). The run course was a nice, rolling, 2.25 mile loop, allowing you to do and out and back or the full loop as necessary for your 20 minute run sets.

I learned so much from this workout! I chose to do three (3) sets, since my next biggest race will be a 70.3. I alternated the bike courses, going hilly/flat/hilly. This was particularly challenging as set 1 and set 3 were meant to have the lower heart rate zones, but had the most challenging terrain.

SUCCESSES: I felt strong and could have tacked on another set or two. Mental focus was there the whole time. I'm learning that my mental focus is tightly attached to my hydration and nutrition. I felt both were spot on! I never saw a dip in energy or focus!

FAILURES: I was supposed to be in heart rate zone 1 - 2 for sets 1 and 3. Instead, I averaged high heart rate zone 3!!! Why? For set 1 I was too "jacked up". I was simply too pumped up by seeing so many friends out there and being just so excited about the workout. This lead to me pushing too hard. For set 3, it was a combination of the hills and a nice little headwind on the return that picked up and was really taking a bite out of my pace!

Only doing a four hour workout on this day, pushing too hard in the first hour did not lead to a "crash" or "bonk" later in the workout. However, had this been my IRONMAN Florida and I went out that hard, it wouldn't have been pretty. I am very high energy to the point of almost being too excitable at races. I will HAVE to learn to reel it in when I first start the bike and when first starting the run. DISCIPLINE!!! These are places I traditionally have to really work to bring my heart rate down to where it should be so I can finish STRONG! In the future, having the hilly bike route for sets 1 and 3, when I am supposed to be holding a lower heart rate will really be a smart plan. It forces me to work on the discipline I will need to have to keep my effort (HRZ) where it needs to be to have a successful race. For me, a "successful race" is racing at the top of my fitness while being able to thoroughly enjoy the journey and after-party! LOL!


Maybe THAT should be my mantra, "Race Hard, Race Smart, Podium the After-Party!"

Hope you try a "Crazy Brick" and learn lots from it!

No comments:

Post a Comment