Tuesday, December 17, 2013

The Signup!

These events took place approximately six weeks ago, but since I wanted to start this blog to chronicle my journey to Ironman Florida (IMFL) 2014 and beyond, I wanted to start it as close to when I signed up as possible. Unfortunately, life became very busy right after IMFL 2013 and I didn’t get the blog rolling until several weeks later. So, I have some catching up to do.
In the months prior to IMFL 2013, I was truly on the fence about my decision to sign up for IMFL 2014 or wait and do IMFL 2015. As most people know, the only sure way to get yourself a slot into an Ironman event is to volunteer at the previous year’s event. This allows you to get preferred, onsite, registration the day after the event. I figured I would do my part for the event by volunteering and at least position myself to have the opportunity to sign up.

If you don’t go the volunteer route, you are forced to fight it out when general registration opens. General registration usually sells out in MINUTES for some of the more popular Ironman events. One misclick of the mouse or a delay in entering your credit card information and you are NOT doing that Ironman the next year! So, yeah, the volunteer route is usually the way to go!


Several weeks prior to IMFL 2013, I had finally made up my mind that I was going to do three big races in 2014… Gulf Coast Triathlon (Half Iron Distance), Ironman Augusta 70.3, and Ironman Florida. Then, on Wednesday, October 30, 2013, my phone started blowing up with messages from friends telling me that the World Triathlon Corporation (the company that owns the Ironman brand) was offering a “Race Ready Package” that included both Ironman Augusta 70.3 and Ironman Florida! The marketing hook was that the Ironman Augusta 70.3 event was just the right amount of time (5 weeks) before Ironman Florida to be the perfect tune up race and allow for an appropriate taper. I checked my email and there it was, official notification that registration for the two-race package would open up the next day!

I jumped online the next day as soon as registration opened up and was able to quickly and easily register for the Race Ready Package of Ironman Augusta 70.3 and Ironman Florida. There wasn’t really any cost savings, but I certainly can’t put a price on NOT having to wait in line, early the day after the 2013 race just to sign up! It made even more sense because I was planning on doing both races anyway!




My good friend, Michelle Dahnke, and I volunteer
 at the Ironman Florida 2013 Athlete's Welcome Dinner!
Before you ask, I still went to IMFL 2013 and volunteered at the Thursday night Athlete Welcome Dinner. It was an amazing experience to be there and help the athletes out. There really is nothing like giving back to something you enjoy so much! So, whether you want to volunteer so that you’ll be able to get preferred sign up for IMFL 2015 or just want to give back to this amazing sport, I highly recommend you go ahead and sign up to volunteer at IMFL 2014! I know that I will greatly appreciate everything the volunteers will be doing for me during my epic IMFL 2014 weekend! Volunteer HERE: http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/americas/ironman/florida/volunteer.aspx And finally, even if you do volunteer and position yourself for preferred, onsite registration the day after IMFL 2014, if you are considering doing both Ironman Augusta 70.3 and Ironman Florida, I highly recommend you keep your eyes open for a Race Ready Package to help YOU avoid the lines!

No comments:

Post a Comment